Friday, January 22, 2016

FOOD IN JONKER STREET, MELAKA , RESTORAN NYONYA SUAN TRADITIONAL CUISINE, FIRST&ONLY CALANTHE ART CAFE MALAYSIA 13 STATES COFFEE


Hi readers,

I think once in a while, you are interested to see something else than beauty and skincare.

The reason I don’t talk about my trip because most of the time, I forgot to take photos. XP

I told you before I am a glutton and when I remembered to take photos; I already gobbled them up. I can’t show you ugly looking half eaten food!

I figured that you might be interested in my recent trip to Malacca if you are coming to Malaysia somewhere in the future. What I am going to say is probably different from what others said so take it with bags of salt XP. After all, my taste buds are probably different from others because I am use to spices and flavorful food.

Malaysian’s food has stronger flavor compared to Taiwanese food and some people might not like it.

So what is good to eat in Malacca? That was my first question to her when I asked her what is good to eat there. I know because I am a glutton.

So I quote her answers “Her mum’s cooking is the best”. She was at lost for answers to my question because of course I expect something that will blow my mind away and she knew how high my expectation for food is. I do prefer home cook food actually.

You can actually find or Google up those common places for Top ten foods to eat in Malacca so I should not dwell into it.

I did not go for the famous satay celup because you need at least 3 people to eat them. It opens only at night. I did not go for ice cream cendol made with coconut water too. The main reason is because I hate waiting in line for food. Besides, there are tons of reviews for those so I don’t think I want to queue up outside the hot weather for 1 hour to just add into those review.

Better go somewhere else for food.

 RESTORAN NYONYA SUAN


This time I went to a friend’s place so she brought me to this Nyonya restaurant. There is no pork and they serve traditional cuisine. Nyonya cuisine is actually a blend of chinese and malays cuisine.  The speciality lies that is spicy so for those coming to Melaka, Nyonya cuisine is a must try. XP
 RESTORAN NYONYA SUAN Sour plum drink
Sour plum drink
Sour plum drink
Yeah, it is sour.LOL


 RESTORAN NYONYA SUAN Cendol drink
Cendol drink

Cendol drink with coconut milk
ermm, no idea how this taste like.  Malaysian don't double dip or drink from the same straw unless you are couple or something XP . Besides, I already have my drink.



RESTORAN NYONYA SUAN Sambal udang petai
Sambal udang petai

Sambal udang petai

This dish is for those can eat the traditional 'ulam'-raw herbal vegetables.  The toilet will stink so lucky we are outside that day. I love the fresh prawn.  It is not spicy in my opinion but to those who doesn't eat chillies this is going to burn your tongue.

RESTORAN NYONYA SUAN TRADITIONAL CUISINE Soup itik Tim
Soup itik Tim

Soup itik Tim

Itik means duck.  So, it is a duck soup.  It is sourish in clear broth. The meat is pretty soft XP.  I can't help to drink few bowl of this because I like sourish soup.=)

RESTORAN NYONYA SUAN TRADITIONAL CUISINE  Kangkung with sambal belacan

Kangkung with sambal belacan

Kangkung with sambal belacan
This is a local cuisine and I am surprise with the crunchy 'water spinach'.  Malaysian love their sambal belacan(dried up salted shrimps) . It is not spicy to me but if you have very low tolerance for chilies, don't order this.





 RESTORAN NYONYA SUAN
 RESTORAN NYONYA SUAN 
Here is the interior =) . they use 'Batik' as table cloth

 RESTORAN NYONYA SUAN
 RESTORAN NYONYA SUAN 

 RESTORAN NYONYA SUAN
 RESTORAN NYONYA SUAN 

Overall, it was a satisfying meal.  I think it is not over RM50 for all these so it is cheap for something as good as this. My friend was actually very full as the portion was actually big.  Even if you eat a lot like me you will find it a lot.  Overall, not bad and I will patron this restaurant again =) .  This is actually near Mahkota parade.


JONKER STREET , MELAKA
JONKER STREET , MELAKA
Here is the end of Jonker street.
JONKER STREET , MELAKA
JONKER STREET , MELAKA
These are some shops around Jonker street.

JONKER STREET , MELAKA
tau sa piah – traditional mung beans cookies.

Here is the Chinese tau sa piah – traditional mung beans cookies.

JONKER STREET , MELAKA
JONKER STREET, MELAKA

makam Mahsuri
makam Mahsuri

Passed by Makam Mahsuri(graveyard). There is a famous legend of her.  I am not interested to see graveyard and it was scorching hot so just walked away.



 Datuk Wira Dr. Gan Boon Leong
 Datuk Wira Dr. Gan Boon Leong

Here is the Datuk Wira Dr. Gan Boon Leong. Behind it is the toilet XP
I have no idea where else to find toilet in Jonker Street.



JONKER STREET, MELAKA
JONKER STREET, MELAKA




JONKER STREET, MELAKA Restoran Famosa Chicken Rice ball
Restoran Famosa Chicken Rice ball
Restoran Famosa Chicken Rice ball

Here is the most popular chicken rice ball which I did not go into. Ate it long ago and not interested in eating it anymore. This is less delicious. It is chicken with rice made into balls.

The reason I passed by this is because we are going to the popular café for coffee. I am a tea and coffee person XP .


 FIRST&ONLY CALANTHE ART CAFE MALAYSIA 13 STATES COFFEE
 FIRST&ONLY CALANTHE ART CAFE MALAYSIA 13 STATES COFFEE

So here we are. Sorry that you have to keep seeing people back. The people here just want to be in my photo. I have waited under the hot scorching sun but they are just so ignorant or probably wanting to photo bomb everything.



 FIRST&ONLY CALANTHE ART CAFE MALAYSIA 13 STATES COFFEE
 FIRST&ONLY CALANTHE ART CAFE MALAYSIA 13 STATES COFFEE

By the way, if you notice, Malaysian wears slippers everywhere because it is so hot. Most of the time, we will go out bare face even if they have bad skin and no one will bat an eye. However, if you do put something like a patch on your face, everyone will look at you! LOL

It is 35 celsius room temperature and outside it is 45 celsius so bring something breathable and light! Just wear t-shirts and pants will do. You can wear sleeveless and short pants too. Just no bikini.
 FIRST&ONLY CALANTHE ART CAFE MALAYSIA 13 STATES COFFEE
 FIRST&ONLY CALANTHE ART CAFE MALAYSIA 13 STATES COFFEE

Here it the interior of the shop.
FIRST&ONLY CALANTHE ART CAFE MALAYSIA 13 STATES COFFEE
FIRST&ONLY CALANTHE ART CAFE MALAYSIA 13 STATES COFFEE
Here is the menu book
FIRST&ONLY CALANTHE ART CAFE MALAYSIA 13 STATES COFFEE
FIRST&ONLY CALANTHE ART CAFE MALAYSIA 13 STATES COFFEE

FIRST&ONLY CALANTHE ART CAFE MALAYSIA 13 STATES COFFEE
Melaka coffee

Calanthe Art Café named all the coffee with the name of 13 states in Malaysia. Mine one is Melaka and my friends one is Perak.(hers is not in photo) They look the same but taste different.

We have to order cold one as I was sweating so much from the scorching hot sun outside. 

It was around Rm12 per cup of coffee. I can’t remember the price.

Melaka coffee  FIRST&ONLY CALANTHE ART CAFE MALAYSIA 13 STATES COFFEE
Melaka coffee

banana chocolate brownie.FIRST&ONLY CALANTHE ART CAFE MALAYSIA 13 STATES COFFEE
Here is also the chocolate brownie.

Here is also the banana chocolate brownie.
FIRST&ONLY CALANTHE ART CAFE MALAYSIA 13 STATES COFFEE
FIRST&ONLY CALANTHE ART CAFE MALAYSIA 13 STATES COFFEE
The photos of Malaysia divided by states.




Chicken rice ball JONKER STREET, MELAKA
Chicken rice ball
Here is the better tasting Chicken rice ball. If you want to try, this one is better. I can’t go because I already ate my lunch and dessert.

JONKER STREET, MELAKA
JONKER STREET, MELAKA


The Melaka river

JONKER STREET, MELAKA
JONKER STREET, MELAKA


The Cendol stalls

Cendol, JONKER STREET, MELAKA
cendol
The cendol from the stall next to the river and opposite the red house. My friend said the river used to stink so badly in the past. Not sure how much those cendol cost because it was my friend's treat. XP
It is nice to have a bowl of cold cendol on a scorching hot day.  It is hard to find seat here and we had to share the table with others.  One tiny table with five adults so one might have to quickly finish your cendol since we might not be comfortable enough to talk with others.  People though we are Singaporeans because well, I look Chinese but speaks English.  Locals speak Mandarin.

 San Shu Gong,JONKER STREET
 San Shu Gong


Before you got out from Jonker Street, remember to stop at a corner shop named San Shu Gong for souvenir. Their coconut cookies and candies are great. I also bought some herbal 'Ba Kut teh' herbs which is very famous and only available in Malaysia. XP Sorry I really forgot to take a photo of the shop.  The thought went out of my mind because it was too hot and we just want to go somewhere cold.





I am thankful of my friend for being such a kind host for bringing me around.  She had to follow me eating the whole day too. Pity her because I hate to be outside under the scorching sun.  Ermm, no photo of me because I look like an idiot and my friend dislike her photos up here XP  .  Well, looking at food photos are way better than looking at me right?  I actually gained like 4.37 kg when I weight myself at my friend's place!  OMG!



I think this is a very long post about food in Malacca. I hope that you will like it.  Let me know if you have any questions about Malacca or other things =) .



I will be writing another post about the things to see in Malacca so let me know if you are interested in that =) .



Nothing sponsored. The opinions expressed here are my own and honest as always.



Follow me on my blog and social media sites:

Have a great day =)